The Sweet Taste of Success
- 9 February 2017
- Nelson Tasman Business Trust
The following guest blog post was written for NTBT by Andrea Kepes, who provides writing services. Andrea's contact details can be found at the end of the article.
The Sweet Taste of Success
When Phil Lash and his partner Leanne were in the exceedingly busy early stages of developing their catering business, Chocolate Velvet, the last thing they needed was for Phil to wrap himself and his motorbike round a large, unforgiving tree.
But Phil and Leanne are nothing if not determined and they carried on regardless, with Phil even directing staff via his cellphone from his hospital bed! His injuries were serious, with three weeks in hospital and a slow, gradual recovery afterwards.
I was in the audience recently when Phil gave a talk for Nelson Tasman Business Trust, a highly motivating talk to be sure. Clearly nervous but resolute, Phil opened his talk by reading out a letter he had penned to himself some time before. He wrote that he was proud of his accomplishment in addressing his fear of speaking in public to the point where he could be here today, delivering a talk about his business and goal-setting. He didn’t know what giving this talk might lead to (me writing this article is one unexpected outcome!) but he was going to do it, fear and all.
Phil walks the talk and this is what he has to say on achieving your goals, business or personal.
- There’s three time states: The Past – we know that story. The Present – our comfort zone. The Future – our learning zone, where magic happens. The best way to predict the future is to create it.
- If you work for someone else’s dream, you get wages; if you work for your own dream, you have fun!
- Goals are dreams with a framework. They are stepping-stones and there is no age limit to having goals. They are also free!
- What if you could achieve anything? What if you had the tools to do it? Go on – dream - and then set some goals. Paddle upstream rather than opting for the path of least resistance.
- The secret of getting ahead is getting started. Take that first step and see where it leads.
- Make your goals SMART – specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and with a timeframe.
- What can I do today to get nearer to my goal? Be focussed.
- You will encounter ‘dream takers’ in the form of family, friends, bank managers etc. Just remember its not their dream, its yours.
- Find mentors and people who can assist you.
- Live life as if its your last day – one day, it will be!
- Climb as high as you can dream.
- When you are chasing your goal with red-hot passion, everything else flows.
by Andrea Kepes
Andrea’s Writing Services, for all your writing requirements.
Ph. 03 548 2824
Mob. 027 858 7580